What to expect when you're expecting!
Being well prepared and having a good knowledge of what to expect during a horse’s normal birth will mean you can remain calm and enjoy the experience.
Suggestions for preparation include:
• Save our emergency number on your mobile phone and write it next to the landline in case you need to contact us
• A clock, pen and paper near the stable if she is to deliver inside is useful to time the stages of labour as you can lose perception of time in times of stress
• When the first stage of labour is suspected the mare’s tail should be wrapped with a clean tail bandage (ensure it is not too tight nor left on too long)
• Wash the vulva and hindquarters with water if she has faecal material present. Ensure no disinfectants, soaps or chemicals are used!
• Ensure there is sufficient straw bedding if she is to foal in a stable
• Make sure you have water available, preferably some warm water too
• A few towels can be useful to have on hand!