Equine Passports And Microchips

Do I Need A Passport For My Horse?

As from 1st July 2009 it is an offence for a keeper with 'primary care responsibilities ' eg. full livery yards, person caring for horse under loan agreement, breeders, trainers and transporters, to be in possession of a horse that has not been issued with a passport.

Following the introduction of compulsory passports for all horses in 2005, new European Union (EU) regulations, which came into effect on 1st July 2009, mean that all foals born must now be microchipped before an owner can apply for an equine passport.

Does My Horse Need To Be Microchipped?

If your horse was born previous to 1st July, 2009 your horse may not be microchipped. As of October 2020 it is now law to have all horses microchipped, if your horse does not have a microchip please get in contact with the clinic to book in.

If your horse was born after 1st July, 2009 and has a valid passport it will have been microchipped.

If you own a horse or are its main keeper, you are responsible for making sure you have an up to date horse passport so your horse, pony or donkey can be identified.

Foals must be identified by six months of age or 31st December of the year of its birth. If you need to move the foal earlier than this you must apply for a passport in advance of the move.

Passports are valid for life.

If your horse was born after 1st July, 2009 and has a valid passport it will have been microchipped.

A passport must accompany a horse whilst travelling or attending events so please ensure that you always have the passport with you whenever you are moving your horse.

The passport must be passed on to the new owner when a horse is sold and there is usually a section to sign in it for ‘change of ownership’. Depending on the Passport Issuer it may need to be returned to them within 30 days to notify them of the change of ownership or

To complete a passport application a vet will have to complete and sign a markings declaration for you.

We can supply paperwork and microchips for both Weatherbys TB and Pet ID passports, but if you require a passport from a specific breed society you will need to contact the society and get the required documents in advance of the vet visit.

If you lose a passport it is advisable to first contact the society which issued the passport, as they should be able to issue a replacement ( usually at a cost). If this is not possible we can help you apply for a basic Pet ID passport instead w hich is a legally acceptable identification document but does not include verification of breeding/pedigree.

If we have the vaccinations of your horse recorded on it’s patent history held on our system  we are able to transfer this into your new/replacement passport once you have received it.

Please contact  Bourton Vale Equine Clinic if you require any other information or details of costs, our reception staff will be happy to assist you.

contact Call us